For current COVID-19 information, see
If you have a COVID-19 question, .

You are here

5.5 Applying for Dispute Resolution

It might be time to consider dispute resolution when communication with your landlord breaks down, or in urgent situations where your housing or safety is at risk. For example, when your landlord repeatedly ignores your repair requests, or you have received an unfair eviction notice.  When considering dispute resolution, keep in mind that there can sometimes be short application deadlines.

You will also want to think about your likelihood of success.  Have you gathered enough good evidence? What evidence does your landlord have against you?  Dispute resolution costs time and money; you should feel confident that you have a realistic chance of winning before applying.

You can apply for dispute resolution online through the Residential Tenancy Branch website, in person at a Residential Tenancy Branch office, or in person at any Service BC Centre in your community.  When submitting your application and evidence, remember that the rules about serving documents apply.  For more information, see TRAC’s webpage on Serving Documents.

Applying for dispute resolution costs $100.  However, this fee may be waived by submitting a Fee Waiver Application with proof that you have a low income.  You may need to provide an income assistance statement, employment insurance benefits statement, recent paystub from an employer, and/or bank statements from the most recent two months.  If you are not eligible for a fee waiver, you will have to pay in order to apply.  However, you can request in your application that your landlord repay the fee to you if you win the hearing.