For current COVID-19 information, see
If you have a COVID-19 question, .

You are here

5.11 Tenant Resources

This course provides a range of information on residential tenancy law, but there is even more to learn about tenants’ and landlords’ rights and responsibilities. In BC, there are two agencies that provide a range of information for renters.

Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC)

If you have questions that haven’t been answered through this course, you can visit TRAC’s website or call its Tenant Infoline. TRAC also publishes one of BC’s most popular legal publications, the Tenant Survival Guide, which offers comprehensive yet plain language legal information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Phone: 604-255-0546 or 1-800-665-1185

BC Residential Tenancy Branch

The Residential Tenancy Branch is the government department in charge of residential tenancy law in BC. The Residential Tenancy Branch provides information about the law and offers dispute resolution for when landlords and tenants cannot resolve problems on their own.  This service is essentially BC’s tenant and landlord court.

In addition to TRAC, the Residential Tenancy Branch can be a great resource for tenants.  You can call one of their information officers for legal information, or visit their website for access to the law, forms, and other resources.


  • 604-660-1020 (Lower Mainland)
  • 250-387-1602 (Victoria)
  • 1-800-665-8779 (Elsewhere in B.C.)