For current COVID-19 information, see
If you have a COVID-19 question, .

You are here

5.6 Tenant Resources

This course provides a range of information about finding a place, signing a tenancy agreement and moving in, but there is much more to learn about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant DURING your tenancy. In BC, there are two agencies that provide a range of information for renters.

Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre (TRAC)

TRAC is a non-profit organization that provides legal information and education to tenants across BC. If you have any questions that haven’t been answered through this course, you can visit TRAC’s website or call its Tenant Infoline. TRAC also publishes one of BC’s most popular legal publications, the Tenant Survival Guide, which offers comprehensive yet plain language legal information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Phone: 604-255-0546 or 1-800-665-1185

BC Residential Tenancy Branch

The Residential Tenancy Branch is the government department in charge of residential tenancy law in BC. The Residential Tenancy Branch provides information about the law and offers dispute resolution for when landlords and tenants cannot resolve problems on their own.  This service is essentially BC’s tenant and landlord court.

In addition to TRAC, the Residential Tenancy Branch can be a great resource for tenants.  You can call one of their information officers for legal information, or visit their website for access to the law, forms, and other resources.


Phone: 604-660-1020 (Lower Mainland)

             250-387-1602 (Victoria)

             1-800-665-8779 (Elsewhere in B.C.)


Need Legal Help?
LIVE Mon - Fri: 11am - 2pm
Call/ Text Free: 1-855-875-8867
Need Legal Help?
LIVE Mon - Fri: 10am - 2pm
Call/ Text Free: 1-855-875-8867