For current COVID-19 information, see
If you have a COVID-19 question, .

You are here

4.12 Deposit Return

First, provide your landlord with your forwarding address in writing for where your deposit can be sent. As is the case with all communication during your tenancy, make sure you have proof of how you gave your landlord your forwarding address, such as a witness or confirmation that it was delivered by registered mail.  See TRAC’s template letter . You can also write your forwarding address on the condition inspection report form.

Once your tenancy has officially ended and you have provided your forwarding address in writing, your landlord has 15 days to do one of three things:

  1. Return your deposit
  2. Get your written consent to keep some or all of your deposit
  3. Apply for dispute resolution to keep some or all of your deposit

Your landlord cannot simply decide that they are going to keep your deposit. If they want it, they need to have written permission from you or the Residential Tenancy Branch.

After 15 days, if your landlord hasn’t returned your deposit, obtained your written consent, or applied for dispute resolution, the law allows you to take them to dispute resolution for double the amount of the deposit.

On the next page you will find the Deposit Return Flowchart. Fill in this flowchart activity to get a better understanding of how you can get your deposit returned when you move-out.