You may want to prepare a list of questions for viewings, as some landlords may not want to offer up certain details unless asked.
Here are some questions to consider asking during the viewing:
- Is it a legal rental unit?
- Is the neighbourhood safe?
- What are the advantages of living in the area?
- Does the place include appliances and amenities? Or has it been “staged” for the viewing?
- Are the neighbours generally quiet and respectful?
- Is the building soundproofed, or is it common to hear noise from other units?
- Has there been a history of bed bugs, other infestations, or illegal activity?
- Is there public transportation nearby?
- What are the rules about smoking, pets, roommates and accessibility?
- Is there laundry available in-suite, or at least somewhere on the property?
- Are there designated parking spots for tenants, or is there only street parking?
- Is storage room available on the property?
- Are there any fees for things like parking, storage or laundry?
You may only have one chance to see the unit before you need to make a decision, so be sure to get the information you need in order to make a well-informed decision.